The Foundation Programme Curriculum sets out the framework for educational progression that will support the first two years of professional development following graduation from medical school. Under the Curriculum, foundation doctors have to demonstrate that they are competent in a number of areas. This includes communication and consultation skills, patient safety and team work as well as the more traditional elements of medical training.
NEW UK Foundation Programme Curriculum 2021
The UK FP Curriculum 2021 is being followed by most foundation doctors.
The Foundation Programme (FP) curriculum, which underpins the training and professional development of newly graduated doctors, relaunched for the first time in five years in summer 2021. The curriculum sets out a holistic approach to care including physical health, mental health and social health and the skills required to manage this in both acute and community settings and for patients with chronic conditions. Foundation doctors must demonstrate that they are competent in the traditional elements of medical training but also in areas such as communication and consultation skills, patient safety and teamwork. The curriculum provides a framework for educational progression that will help them achieve these skills and supports them through the first two years of professional development after graduation from medical school.
“The last curriculum was published in 2016 and a lot has happened since then, not least the coronavirus pandemic. To remain fit for purpose, the Foundation Programme must evolve with medical practice and training, so our doctors are properly equipped to practice in a range of healthcare setting, now and in the future.” Dr Tony Choules, Chair of the AoMRC Foundation Programme Committee and Operational Advisor to the UKFPO.
If you have any queries or comments about the 2021 curriculum, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
See below a series of UKFPO resources that will help foundation doctors, trainers and foundation schools to understand what the new curriculum means for them.
– UK FP Curriculum 2021 (interactive pdf) –> We recommend users access the new curriculum document through Adobe Reader or an up to date browser (e.g. Chrome or Firefox). Users accessing the document through Microsoft Edge may not get the full experience of the interactive PDF.
– The Gold Guide (9th edition) –> A reference guide for postgraduate foundation and specialty training in the UK
– Rough guide to the curriculum –> written by foundation doctors, for foundation doctors
– Curriculum resource –> This resource document highlights national guidance and protocols available to support each of the curriculum’s foundation professional capabilities. It lists many of the freely available evidence-based resources, including helpful web links (such as e-lfh and BMA) and guidance notes.
See our Webinars page to access the recordings of webinars supporting the 2021 curriculum.
Assessments, SLEs and other forms
Detailed information about forms to be completed as part of foundation training:
– Supervised Learning Events (SLEs)
– Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP)
Representation options for foundation doctors
View information on membership offers in UKFP and other medical education forums for foundation doctors, as of April 2021, in this Overview of Membership and Representation Options document.
2016 curriculum (archive)
View information about the FP Curriculum 2016, followed by some out of sync foundation doctors.
Our Careers page contains information on life after the Foundation Programme.
Patient reps consultation on the new curriculum
UK patient representatives – thanks to those who took our survey on the new curriculum for 2021!
– Presentation – The new FP curriculum (for patient reps)
– Written summary of changes to the curriculum (for patient reps)
Doctors in training undertaking additional work
Guidance on Undertaking Additional Work (published by COPMeD on 07 January 2019)
A list of videos, podcasts and support documents for all users of the 2021 curriculum.
|1: Launch of new UK foundation programme curriculum 2021||– YouTube – What does the new curriculum mean for a supervisor?|
– YouTube – What does the new curriculum mean for a trainee?
– The 2021 curriculum Factsheet
– Introduction to 2021 curriculum for educators Factsheet
|2: The educational supervisor (ES)|
The clinical supervisor (CS)
|– The ES Factsheet|
– The ES Podcast
– The CS Factsheet
– The CS Podcast
|3: The foundation doctor|
Self development time
|– The foundation doctor Factsheet|
– Self development time Factsheet
– Personal learning log guide
|4: The role of the doctor||– Factsheet|
|5: The Placement Supervision Group (PSG)||– YouTube|
– Importance of PSG feedback tool Research and guidance
|6: Supervised Learning Events (SLEs)||– YouTube|
|7: The LEARN form||– Factsheet|
|8: The summary narrative||– YouTube|
– Example 1
– Example 2
|9: Giving feedback||– Factsheet|
|10: Supporting the foundation doctor (including minority groups)||– Supporting the foundation doctor Factsheet|
– Supporting inclusion and equity YouTube
|11: Building a portfolio||– Factsheet|
|12: The annual review of competence progression (ARCP)||– ARCP Checklist|
– Further information on our ARCP page
Guidance for Foundation Doctors on providing written feedback for colleagues
Please click here to access guidance for Foundation Doctors on providing written feedback for colleagues.
Foundation Programme Review
The Foundation Programme review started in 2018 and since the report published in 2019, HEE have been working with partner organisations to implement the recommendations from the report. Please click here to view the updates.