The Foundation Programme Curriculum sets out the framework for educational progression that will support the first two years of professional development following graduation from medical school. Under the Curriculum, foundation doctors have to demonstrate that they are competent in a number of areas. This includes communication and consultation skills, patient safety and team work as well as the more traditional elements of medical training.
All documents are valid for the 2020-21 training year.
Internal Medicine Training e-learning programme
Created jointly by Health Education England’s e-Learning for Healthcare (HEE e-LfH) the Joint Royal College of Physicians Training Board (JRCPTB), the programme aims to set out how to write a meaningful and effective Educational Supervisor Report (ESR) for Internal Medicine training. This module sets out how to prepare to write an ESR, considered by the Annual Review of Competency Progression (ARCP) panel when assessing a trainee’s progress, starting with the initial meeting with the trainee, planning the training year and gives examples of good report writing.
This e-learning package is aimed at educational supervisors of internal medicine trainees and covers the following areas:
– The ESR
– Capabilities in Practice (CiPs)
– Setting up the Training Year
– Some elements of the ARCP
For more information about the programme, including access details, visit: https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/internal-medicine-training/.
UK Patient Representatives – Thanks to those who took Our Survey on the New Curriculum!
The Foundation Programme curriculum is being updated for August 2021 and we asked our UK Patient Representatives their opinions in an anonymous survey during April and May 2020. The survey is now closed but if you would like to find out more about the changes please see the information below.
Current Trainees are encouraged to visit the webpage Beyond Foundation on Health Education England’s website. It contains a brief summary of options available to trainees along with further contacts.
Foundation Programme Review
In 2018–2019 the HEE Foundation Programme Review heard evidence
from a wide range of stakeholders, including foundation doctors,
about the difficulties faced by those entering foundation training from
medical school. A number of recommendations were made and this
pack outlines progress and contains practical information to assist with
Curriculum & Guidance
- Online Foundation Programme Curriculum
- Foundation Programme Curriculum 2016
- Guide for Foundation Training in the UK
- Foundation Operational Guide 2019
- Foundation Programme Curriculum Resource
- Curriculum Requirements – Key Changes for 2020
- Importance of PSG feedback
- Placement Supervision Group Tool
- Train the Trainer Presentation – 1st November 2019
- Train the Trainer Presentation – 7th July 2020
- Video – The new FP curriculum
- Self-Development Time: Guidance on “Self-Development Time” can be found on both the NHS Employers website and the Health Education England website.
- #CPRinSchools – slide deck
- #CPRinSchools – Information for trainees and medical education managers
- #CPRinSchools – Information for schools
- Curriculum and COVID- Related absences
Supervised Learning Events
|Supervised Learning Event Guidance||Supervised Learning Event||Recommended Minimum|
|DOPS Guidance for Doctors and Trainers|
Mini-CEX Guidance for Doctors and Trainers
| 3 or more per placement* |
(minimum of nine observations; at least six must be mini-CEX)
|Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||Case-Based Discussion||2 or more per placement*|
|Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||Developing the Clinical Teacher||1 or more per year|
For more information see the SLE FAQs.
|Other Form Guidance||Other Form||Recommended Minimum|
|LEADER Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||LEADER (Clinical Leadership (Work-based Review)|| No recommended minimum |
(optional formative discussion)
|LEARN Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||Learning Encounter and Reflection Note (LEARN)|| No recommended minimum |
(optional to supplement traditional SLEs)
You can find additional documents relating to the foundation curriculum here.