The Foundation Programme Curriculum sets out the framework for educational progression that will support the first two years of professional development following graduation from medical school. Under the Curriculum, foundation doctors have to demonstrate that they are competent in a number of areas. This includes communication and consultation skills, patient safety and team work as well as the more traditional elements of medical training.
COVID-19: Update to Annual Review of Competency Progression (ARCP)
In response to the unprecedented situation with COVID-19 the UKFPO has revised the Annual Review of Competency Progression (ARCP) Guidance for 2020. The updated guidance can be found here.
Please also see the ARCP Outcomes Operational Guidance for 2020 here.
UK Patient Representatives – Thanks to those who took Our Survey on the New Curriculum!
The Foundation Programme curriculum is being updated for August 2021 and we asked our UK Patient Representatives their opinions in an anonymous survey during April and May 2020. The survey is now closed but if you would like to find out more about the changes please see the information below.
- Presentation – The new FP curriculum (for patient reps)
- Written summary of changes to the curriculum (for patient reps)
Curriculum & Guidance
- FP Curriculum 2016
- Online FP Curriculum 2016
- FP Curriculum 2019 Resource Guide
- Timeline for F1 Completion 2020
- Train the Trainer Presentation
- Video – The new FP curriculum
- Self-Development Time: Guidance on “Self-Development Time” can be found on both the NHS Employers website and the Health Education England website.
- #CPRinSchools – slide deck
- #CPRinSchools – Information for trainees and medical education managers
- #CPRinSchools – Information for schools
Supervised Learning Events
|Supervised Learning Event Guidance||Supervised Learning Event||Recommended Minimum|
| DOPS Guidance for Doctors and Trainers|
Mini-CEX Guidance for Doctors and Trainers
| 3 or more per placement* |
(minimum of nine observations; at least six must be mini-CEX)
|Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||Case-Based Discussion||2 or more per placement*|
|Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||Developing the Clinical Teacher||1 or more per year|
* based on a clinical placement of four month duration
For more information see the SLE FAQs.
|Other Form Guidance||Other Form||Recommended Minimum|
|LEADER Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||LEADER (Clinical Leadership (Work-based Review)|| No recommended minimum |
(optional formative discussion)
|LEARN Guidance for Doctors and Trainers||Learning Encounter and Reflection Note (LEARN)|| No recommended minimum |
(optional to supplement traditional SLEs)