Evidence of Right to Work in the UK

General information

Applicants must have the right to work in the UK as a doctor in training by the start of the programme (July/August 2025) to be considered fully eligible for allocation to a foundation training programme. It is often the case that applicants will be allocated to their foundation training programme before they begin their application for the appropriate visa to ensure they have the right to work in the UK.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they have sufficient right to work status in the UK for the duration of the 2-year training programme (2025 entry, finishing August 2027), including renewing/applying for a new visa partway through the programme if necessary.

Non-urgent advice: Please note

Evidence of right to work is not required at the point of application and sponsorship can be arranged for applicants upon successful allocation to a foundation programme.

Applicants who already have Right to Work in the UK at the point of application

Applicants who already have Right to Work in the UK at the point of application must upload evidence of this onto Oriel when submitting their eligibility application.

Applicants who hold a visa must not have restrictions to work as a doctor or dentist.

Applicants who currently have Right to Work which will expire before the programme starts in August 2025, should indicate on the Oriel application that sponsorship is required. A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) will then be arranged once the applicant has been allocated to a programme. (Likewise, applicants whose Right to Work will expire part way through the 2-year training programme, should arrange for a Certificate of Sponsorship via their allocated Foundation School and/or employer).

Irish nationals

Irish nationals are not required to provide proof of Right to Work and should select “Yes” to “Would you like to use your passport evidence as right to work proof?” in this section on the Oriel application form. For further information, please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance.

Applicants who do not have Right to Work in the UK at the point of application

The condition of “right to work required” will remain on the eligibility application until after allocation to a programme. This is so that the correct processes can be followed to ensure sponsorship is arranged. This condition will have no bearing on the application.

If an applicant will require visa sponsorship, they should select the option in their application on Oriel: “I wish to be sponsored (I understand my details will be shared with the relevant sponsorship team)”.

Applicants whose visa will expire part-way through the programme

Applicants whose visa will expire part-way through the programme must provide evidence of their continued Right to Work status beyond this point. Alternatively, they may need to apply for an extension or alternate visa without disrupting their training programme.

At time of publication all medical specialties are included on the Shortage Occupation List (SOL), therefore the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) does not currently apply. Sponsorship will be arranged for applicants who require it to apply for a specific visa.

Non-urgent advice: Important

Birth certificates can only be accepted as evidence of right to work if they have been issued in the UK. The birth certificate must specify the names of your parents plus a copy of a formal document from a previous employer or authority showing your name and national insurance number.

UKFPO processes are subject to Immigration Law in the UK and any changes to the rules and regulations set by the UK Home Office.

Applicants with dual nationality/multi-citizenship should complete the Oriel application form using the most relevant nationality for them (in regard to the information they must submit to evidence their Right to Work in the UK) and upload the relevant passport.

Further information about how to obtain the Right to Work in the UK can be found on the UK Border Agency website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ and UK Home Office website at: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration.

UK/settled and pre-settled applicants are required to provide a copy of their date stamped passport or biometric residence card as proof of their right to work. This evidence must be uploaded on Oriel when completing an eligibility application. Applicants with pre-settled status will need to provide evidence of their settled status when received if applicable.

Please note: Applicants with dual nationality should upload the most appropriate nationality passport relevant to the right to work in the UK.

Skilled Worker visas are arranged by the national sponsorship teams and contacts are listed below for each of the four nations:

– NHS England (NHSE) – england.sponsorship@nhs.net

– Health Education Improvement Wales (HEIW) – NWSSP.EmploymentServices.Enablement@wales.nhs.uk

– The Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency (NIMDTA) – tier2.nimdta@hscni.net

– NHS Education for Scotland (NES) – tier2sponsorship@nes.scot.nhs.uk

Applicants considering applying for a Graduate visa will not require sponsorship from the relevant Statutory Education Body (NHSE/ HEIW/NIMDTA/NES) and will need to apply directly with the UKVI. Once the application has been approved the applicant can then provide evidence of this to the UKFPO. More information on the Graduate Route can be found on the Home Office website: Fact sheet: Graduate Immigration Route – Home Office in the media (blog.gov.uk)

Please apply through the eligibility process and email helpdesk@foundationprogramme.nhs.uk if you have any questions about the application process for the foundation programme

Frequently Asked Questions on Right to Work can be found here.