What is an eligibility application?
The eligibility window for the 2021 Foundation Programme is open from Monday 20th July 2020 – Wednesday 2nd September 2020.
The eligibility application process applies to applicants to the national UK Foundation Programme 2021 (UKFP 2021) who:
1: Are studying at or have graduated from a non-UK medical school, OR
2: Have graduated from a UK medical school on or prior to 4th August 2019, OR
3: Are a non-UK/settled worker studying for a UK medical degree at a campus outside of the UK, for example, University of Nicosia, Cyprus (St. George’s University London), or Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia.
Applicants in any of these three groups need to submit an eligibility application BEFORE the main application round in October 2020 to have their eligibility to apply confirmed. You must complete an eligibility application in July – September 2020. If you are considered eligible, you must also apply to FP in October 2020. You will also have the option to apply for academic and priority programmes.
UK medical school students who are due to graduate in 2020 and 2021 do not need to submit an application for eligibility through this process. Your medical school will be able to nominate you.
Eligibility Applicant Guidance for UKFP 2021
- UKFP 2021: Application Process High-Level Timeline – A combined timeline of the application process for the UK Foundation Programme.
- UKFP 2021: Eligibility Applicant Guidance – A comprehensive overview of the eligibility application process, for those who need to submit eligibility applications for 2021. (Please be advised that this guidance is subject to change in light of external dependencies and in particular, in regard to the current public health pandemic. The UKFPO will provide updates, as necessary.)
- UKFP 2021: Dean’s Statement – This is a compulsory part of the eligibility application process.
- UKFP 2021: Reapplication to Foundation Training Form – This is compulsory, only if you have previously been removed or resigned from a two-year Foundation Programme.
- UKFP 2021: Educational Performance Measure (EPM) Framework (to be updated in May 2020)
- UKFP 2021: Reasonable Adjustments for Clinical Assessment (to be updated in May 2020)
When approving eligibility applications, the applications are considered by the UKFPO’s Eligibility Office in accordance with the eligibility criteria.
10% of all eligible applications are reviewed and quality assured by an independent eligibility checking panel.
Applicants who are considered ineligible at the end of this process may submit an appeal against the outcome of their application.
Information on the appeals process, and the appeals form itself, can be found on the appeals page on our website.