AFP Trainees – Covid Questionnaire
Last year, many AFP trainees in the North West of England took the time to tell us about disruptions to, and opportunities within, the Academic Foundation Programme as a result of the pandemic. You can read about the results in this report. We have now extended this nationally and we invite you to complete this questionnaire. This will help us to find any further impacts now that we are in wave three. Thank you for your participation.
Foundation ARCP Webinar
Foundation Trainees are invited to a webinar on Thursday 25th March at 19.00 which will be led by UKFPO Co-Chair, Mike Masding and Foundation School Directors, Dr Fiona Cameron and Dr Clare van Hamel. This will focus on Foundation ARCP guidance, processes and a live Q&A. Questions cannot be submitted in advance at this stage but you will have an opportunity to ask questions on the night.
UKFPO Call for Foundation Doctor Case Studies
To help prepare new F1 doctors for life in foundation training, we would like to request case studies from current foundation doctors for the UKFPO website. Please refer to this case study on the Health Careers website for an idea of what this can look like, but we are open to ideas on what aspects of foundation training you would like to write about. Please contact Ellie at email@example.com to discuss your ideas or request more information. Thank you!
COVID-19 Ways of Working
Please visit the HEE Covid-19 Ways of Working update here to find learning resources such as rapid training webinars and COVID-19 vaccination e-learning materials. This material is available to staff and trainees in all four UK nations.
The Learning Hub – resources to support the management of the tracheostomy in COVID-19 patients
A suite of videos on tracheostomy management in COVID-19 patients has been contributed to the Learning Hub.
The short videos are aimed at colleagues involved in the COVID-19 response including nurses, auxiliary health professionals and hospital, and pandemic field hospital, doctors.
The series of videos include:
- A resource showing a tracheostomy subglottic suction in COVID-19 suspected/positive patient
- A video showing the change of ventilator heat moisture exchanger in a COVID-19 positive patient
- A video demonstrating the management of severe bleeding from a tracheostomy tube in COVID-19 ventilated patients
Events, Information and Opportunities from External Partners
Choose GP Campaign
The number of doctors choosing GP continues to increase, with a total of 3,793 doctors accepting GP training places in 2020, breaking NHS records. If you are interested in learning more about GP training, please visit the GPNRO website and the resources below.
- The animated FAQs help prompt and signpost relevant information on the GPNRO website
- The GP career paths are a visual way of presenting GP stories and some are also featured in the Choose GP section
- GP Amir Khan and Clinical Pharmacist Iram Riaz video and podcast
- GP Sandy Khosla and Advanced Nurse Practitioner Julia Taylor video and podcast
- The GP recruitment team are collecting career stories that bring to life options and ideas including those who have switched to GP
Prescribing Safety Assessment
BPS Assessment is pleased to announce that the Prescribing Safety Assessment is now available to international candidates. Please visit their website for more information.
3rd annual Core Surgical Training Interview Course (King’s College London)
Foundation Doctor Advisory Board reps have identified the below resources as helpful for foundation learning. Although some of these resources have originally been developed for final year medical students, much of the knowledge and skills are relevant for foundation doctors too.